Monday, July 06, 2015

Pantone Summer 2015: Custard

Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Yellow Jade, Smoky Quartz, Crystal Quartz, Calcite, Carnelian Necklaces

Oh how I wish I could; but alas I can’t. Describe Pantone’s Custard, that is, any better than the creatives at Pantone. They make it sound so dreamy: “sweet and sunny...a cheery tone that brings thoughts of pleasant relaxation and comfort food…full of good feelings.” The writer in me is at a loss for words – what can I add? I suppose I can tell you I love all rocks and gems that are soft yellow aka custard in color…yeah, that’s what I can say. I could add that I love the neutral nature of the soft color – it works well with just about every color in the universe, right? Let’s see – thinking, thinking, thinking. Nope, can’t think of one that it clashes with…can you?


Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Red Poppy Jasper, Green Aventurine, Aragonite, African Opal Gemstone Necklace
Aragonite and African yellow opal, soft & gentle, plays so well with others!

When I’m scouting the Tucson Gem Shows every year I am always on high alert for glorious yellow stones – especially those of the softer custard variety like aragonite, yellow calcite, African opal and yellow jade. Honestly, there are not a lot of gems and rocks that fall into this color category so when I find them I am thrilled. I know…my overall excitement most likely makes me a real geek; but then we all know that I fly my geek flag proudly so no real secret, right? I can’t hide it – never could and most likely never will – so at this point in life, I’m just going with it!
Here are just a few of the jewelry designs I’ve created over the years using these glorious stones. Many are classic in nature so versions of them still appear in the current inventory. I also love that soft yellow gemstones can be layered in jewelry pieces of any color any time of the year. Let's say that when it comes to the color custard, in rocks and gemstones, it is without season. Even though Pantone thinks it’s for Summer 2015 – we know better, right?
Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Carnelian, Smoky Quartz, Aragonite, Moonstone, Jade, African Opal Gemstone Necklace


Now for a bit more honesty – it’s true, I do not like custard, the food! As a kid I always thought it was something one eats when “you’re old and in the rest home.” But, hey, there’s hope yet…the older I get the closer I get to that “rest home” of sorts so maybe, just maybe, I’ll develop a taste for custard when all is said and done? Thoughts? 
Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Pearl, Cross, Citrine, Moonstone, Honey Jade, Crystal Quartz Necklace, Earrings & Bracelet
Maybe a wee bit of a cheat colorwise...but I think they are close enough.

P.S. Kind of interesting that I can't come up with other descriptors for the color Custard yet I came up with "alas" in my first sentence. Perhaps I dated Willy Shakespeare in a previous life?

No comments:

Post a Comment